Friday, June 1, 2012

Getting into gear

A few things have happened since I last posted:

  • The kiln plug melted during a firing! Kind of scary. Both the plug and the electrical outlet were totally fried/melted! Honey B. was able to replace both and the kiln was fine, but the whole experience was a little too close for comfort. (Apparently when the plug heats up the screws will expand and then contract during cooling. Over time they can loosen and then the electricity starts arcing! Not good. So just know that it's a good idea to check your plug - like maybe once a year. I've had my kiln for over 12 years and never knew to do that.)


  • The Waldorf School May Faire sale on May 5th was a success. The mermaid mugs were a hit! I made six of those and by the day of the sale only had 2 available. Of course they sold first thing!  Definitely something I will be making more of....


  • Nothing like a nice basket of warm medals. Yum!  I made 210 medals for my son's 5th grade Decathlon. Kids and adults alike were thrilled with them. Very gratifying.


  • Steve Dilley, who teaches at Saddleback College in Mission Viejo, put together a Veteran's Art Program at Grossmont College for the spring semester. It was a regular Friday event where veterans could get school counseling and do clay if they were interested. It was fun volunteering for that on a regular basis.

    Steve Dilley (instructor), Josh, Eric, Matthew

  • I was accepted into an art group that has a permit to exhibit in Balboa Park. Yeah! Going forward I'm planning to set up my booth in Balboa Park on a regular basis.  I'm shooting for the 4th Sat/Sun of the month.
  • I applied to the SD Potter's Guild. Finger's crossed! 

Meanwhile it's time to get back in the studio. I've got a few new forms I'm working on and a bunch of ideas to explore. There is glazing that needs to be done. Not to mention new glaze combos and new glazes to test! I've got kingfisher colors on my mind.... Dark blue, aqua, and orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment