Friday, October 11, 2013

Mermaid, owl and skull mugs

Here are the results from last week's silkscreen and underglaze experiment. The colors really change from "raw" to fired....
Here's the mermaid in navy blue waves with the rim glazed in sky blue.  

The terracotta background almost completely burned out on the owl nug.

And here's my favorite of the "Skully" mugs I made for Halloween. 
The iron oxide burned out more than I would have liked. Next time I'll have to wax over the oxide to preserve its dark color. I'll see how these guys do at Balboa Park tomorrow! I might have to go back and add some detail with underglaze and a refire...

(Yeah, I decided I can't put the others out there without a refire.
So I  just put 4 in the little kiln and hopefully they'll be ready for tomorrow.) 

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Playing with silkscreen and underglaze

Inspired by a Meredith Host demo on Ceramics Art Daily I ordered a custom silkscreen from PG Fiber2 Art 3 days ago. My screens arrived today - super great service! (Thank you Susan!) Of course I immediately tried them out.  This is still very much in the raw but it looks very promising!

Mermaid, mermaid reading in the ocean, cause they are so awesome....

And this is a little messier, but it's done on an uneven surface....

Can't wait to see the final results! :) Dry, bisque, glaze, glaze fire.... Soon, soon!